Thursday, November 6, 2014

Sultana's Dream - learning to create silver in cold process soap

I looooove the color purple (any shade) and I love taking advantage of any opportunity to use it in my soap.  This scent is a duplication of Lush's Sultana fragrance.  I've never smelled the original so I can't say how close this is to it, but it's a really lovely scent that behaved beautifully in this batch of soap.
 
 
A blend of Bergamot and Blackberry leading to soft floral notes of Egyptian Jasmine and Rose on a warm base of Indian Frankincense, Ginger and Musk

 
For the pour, I decided to do what I believe is called a "tiger stripe".  The colors here are purple, silver, lavender and white.  You can't really tell from the pictures but that really is silver between the purple and lavender layers.  Frustrating, yes, I know.  I really wish the camera could have picked up that color and shimmer.  It's so pretty in person.
 
 
To create the silver portion, I used activated charcoal (I'm sure black oxide would work just as well), titanium dioxide and diamond dust mica.  Lot's of diamond dust mica.  It added a very pretty shimmer to what would have been simply light gray.  I'm looking forward to playing with this color blend some more in the future.  I think it's possible to make it pop even more.  I'd really be interested in hearing if anyone else has tried something similar and what your results were.  Till next time...♥
 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! The spirit of sharing in the soaping community is so inspiring. Love your soap! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Hettie! I have a lot of respect for those who are still willing to dig through blogs and actually READ for information, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful soap and the silver is so pretty! Thanks for sharing how you achieved the silver. I need to do another tiger stripe soon - it's such a neat technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful and inspiring

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails